Having gathered the gear and backup for their raid on Asako’s suspected hideout, the team, along with Otis Young and their Yakuza soldier backup piled into their vehicles and drove to the target house.
With the team and Otis approaching from the rear, the half-dozen Yakuza soldiers moved to the front, to prevent any of the targets from getting away.
Unfortunately, the plan did not survive contact with the enemy; as soon as Riku had hopped the back fence to approach the house, the roof of the building exploded in a large ball of flame, leaving what appeared to be a great winged demon (calling itself Kagutsuchi) floating above the building. The team was stunned by its appearance, and succumbed to its aura of terror easily; they stood helpless in terror for several seconds while the spirit began laying siege to the area.
Slowly regaining awareness of their surroundings, the team became aware of several things. There was the sound of much gunfire and sirens coming from the front of the house, and thee looked to be a small group of figure trying to sneak out of the building into one of the neighboring yards.
The team quickly jumped the group, which appeared to be their targets, but quickly became suspicious as several of them appeared to be spirits, using weird powers and discorporating in a burst of feathers when slain.
Quickly downing the group attempting to escape, (of which 3 of the 5 appeared to be spirits) the team grabbed the unconscious bodies of the 2 humans, Charles Tanaka and an unknown younger female, and quickly left the area before the demonic spirit took notice of them; it had spent the entire battle occupied by the attackers in the front of the house.
The team managed to get away, though Otis suffered a close call as the demon noticed him as the team fled, and just missed him with a hastily flung bolt of flame.
On the way to the safehouse, the team took stock of what they had grabbed:
- Tanaka does not have an apparent commlink or any weapons.
- He is wearing an armored vest under his clothes.
- He has a credstick with 2500¥.
Searching the woman found:
- Her katana
- She is wearing an armored jacket
- She has a credstick with 1000¥ and a R4 commlink.
- She also has a spare clip of ammo for her Smartgun (which was left behind when Otis grabbed her body)
Meanwhile Hiraku used his magic to probe Charles Tanaka’s mind.
1. He does not have any knowledge of the team’s escape route or safehouse.
2. He is working for Tomo because Tomo got him out of prison. However, he also has longer-term plans to betray Tanaka and take over, once he dealt with Asako’s magic.
3. He does not know where Tomo is getting his money. He believes that it is coming through shell corporations from sources in both Japan and Chicago. The Chicago sources he thinks are linked to Oyabun Ichiro Kudo-kai the head of the Chicago Yakuza.
4. His personal accounts are virtually empty. Knight Errant confiscated everything when he was arrested. In regards to Tomo’s funds, he does not have full access to all the money/accounts. Tomo dispenses funds to him as required, with a little extra for emergencies/overhead. (He was keeping him on a pretty tight leash) Tanaka presently has about 25,000¥ in various accounts for contingencies.
5. He knows the following Yakuza have been compromised:
Kiemon Sone: a member of the Ronin motorcycle gang.
Kenny Hirobu: a Yakuza soldier working for Hiroyuki Tanaka
Suzanne Wahita: a Yakuza madam that runs one of the Yakuza brothels.
Logan ‘Lucky’ Shobu: a yakuza lieutenant in charge of a significant amount of the drug distribution.
6. He does not know anything about the demon/fire spirit. (His magical knowledge is zero) He knows that Asako had set up some sort of mystical trap using the four prostitutes she had hired a few days before; he had shelled out payment for their services for a week. (Hiraku gets a vision of a mystical circle carved into the floor, with significant amounts of arcane materials set around it. Four human females are strapped to frames around the circle with some form of incendiary devices at their feet. You get the impression it was designed to use the burning figures to power the magical circle to complete the summoning.)
7. He knows little about the ‘Tengu’ Asako brought them in a few days previous to cover the fact that she, Tomo and Yui were not at the house.
Finished with Tanaka, Hiraku turned to probe the unconscious female and found her to be dead. A closer examination showed what appeared to be a broken false tooth in the back of her mouth.
Probing Tanaka again, Hiraku found that her name was Heather Totomi, and she was an apprentice to Asako.
Having gotten away from the scene of the battle and arrived several minutes later at the safehouse provided by Kiro Hachiyama, the team was surprised to find a reception party waiting for them: Kiro, along with a small handful of soldiers, the 5 Black Dragons and Izanami were waiting to take the captives from the team.
They were also watching the battle at the house on the news. The battle still raged, with what appeared to be Kugurutchi having an aerial battle with an armed helicopter gunship over the house while several vehicles, and buildings, burned below.
Kiro quickly catches the team up on what the news has revealed so far:
1. It appears Knight Errant had been aware of some sort of illegal activity taking place at the target house.
2. They had already moved an E- SWAT team into position nearby to assault the house when the two cars carrying ‘an unknown number of unidentified armed men’ approached the house and the fire spirit appeared.
3 The Knight Errant team moved in to contain the spirit, but were unable to deal with it, and were killed, along with the members of the surveillance team that had been watching the house as well as the unknown figures.
4. Knight Errant managed to dispatch a pair of armed helicopters to the scene, but the spirit quickly dropped one, and has been battling the other since.
Handing over Tanaka and the female to Kiro’s men, the team received their pay (30,000¥). Izanami quickly went over to Tanaka and placed her hands on his head, and they began to glow a pale red.
Hiraku easily recognized the signature of a Mind Probe spell.
After a few moments, she released his head and came over to Kiro and the team.
She has identified the likely location for Asako and her brother Tomo. They have taken the presidential suite at the Athenaeum hotel under false identities and have been staying there for the past week.
Kiro turns to the team.
“I want them both. Now.”